Bonsu is a town in the Nkoranza South Municipality. it is about 8km from Nkoranza on the Nkoranza-Techiman road. The town has a population of 2,611.
Bonsu Catholic church was founded in 1936 by Op. Kwadwo Fordjour and Op. Kwabena Owusu, who brought the Catholic faith from Berekum in the Bono East Region of Ghana. One Mr. S Quarshie, a Fante and a convert from Anglican Church came from Nkoranza to help as Catechist.
Mr. Philip Nkansah took over and was assisted by a young scholar Alex Kwabena Agyapong. In 1971, Most Rev. Peter Kwasi Sarpong, Emeritus Bishop of Kumasi Diocese, created Nkoranza Parish out of Techiman Parish with Rev. Fr. Martin Wesseling as the first Parish Priest, and Bonsu became one of its outstations until 7th January 2005, when Bishop Matthew Kwasi Gyamfi, Bishop of Sunyani Diocese, created it as a Parish and appointed Rev. Fr. Joseph Frank Kumi as its first parish priest.
The current church building is the fourth one since the church developed. The land for the mission house was offered to the church by Mr. Michael Kofi Adu and Mr. Stephen Yaw Fosu on behalf of their respective families in 1999 when Rev. Fr. John Nkrumah, the then parish priest of Nkoranza, decided to prepare the Kwabre zone Nkoranza as a parish.
When Techiman became diocese in 2008, Rev. Fr. Matthew Takyi Asante succeeded Fr. Frank Kumi until 2012 when Rev. Fr. Charles Hayford Agyapong succeeded till date. Amongst those who contributed to the raising of this zone to the Parish status were Messrs E.P. Frimpong, Peter Addai, Paul Duako, Clement Obeng, G.M Sarpong, M.K. Fobi, Augustine Ameyaw, Owusu Ansah, Gabriel Atta and, Mad Margaret Sarpong.