Yeji is the capital of the Pru District which was created on the 18th of February, 2004 out of the then Atebubu District. Yeji is recognized as the largest inland supplier of smoked/salted fish, cattle and other food crops in the district. The fish market serves as the main backbone of the Assembly’s revenue. it is located on the edge of the Volta Lake.
The St. Bernard Catholic Church according to history started in 1973 with thirty one members at Nsuoano L/A Primary School. The members were made up of Catholics, who had come from their various towns to work in Yeji. These were teachers, police officers, education officers, workers at Ghana Water and Sewerage co-operation, fish mongers and traders. Some of these members were Mr and Mrs. Joseph Osei Kontor and Children, Mr. and Mrs. Annor and Children, Mr. and Mrs. Oteng and Children, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Osei and children, Mr. and Mrs. Appiah and children, Mr. and Mrs. Okyere and children, Mr. Owusu Bermont, Mr. Martin Takyi, Mr. Acheampong and Nana TK.
The Church at the beginning was under the Atebubu Parish with Rev. Fr. Martin Burkley (SMA) the Priest in charge. In the absence of the priest Mr. Osei Kontor always led the service of the word. Mr. Martin K Takyi taught catechesis. Mr. Oteng was the first person to have served as the president of the church and the first Choir Master was Mr. Owusu Bermont.
As time went by the leadership decided to look for a proper place of worship. As such they secured a land near the PEDW area, where they built a school to serve dual purpose, a school and a worshipping place. This school came out of the contribution of the local people. The first Head teacher of the school was Mr. Kyere, who was from Berekum
It is on record that the first baptism and confirmation took place at Yeji on 6th July, 1976 by Most Rev. James Kwadwo Owusu of blessed memory, the first Bishop of Sunyani Diocese.
Rev. Fr. John Oppong of Blessed memory, was the first resident priest of St. Bernard Parish. He came to Yeji in the year 1977.
An unfortunate incidence happened in 1979 when the resident Priest Fr. Oppong and William Donkor a young boy he was staying with got burnt and died later in a fire outbreak at the mission house.