BRIEF HISTORY OF HOLY FAMILY HOSPITAL - TECHIMAN
The Holy Family Hospital (HFH) - Techiman was established in 1954 by the Medical Mission Sisters. It all began in early 1953 when three (3) founding elders of the St. Paul’s Catholic Church of Techiman (now St. Paul Cathedral), visited the then Catholic Bishop of Kumasi- Bishop Hubert Paulissen, to express their desire for a hospital for Techiman.
The Bishop promised to solicit for funding for the project, and further redirected them to the Rev. Sr. Laetitia Fliegera, a Medical Mission Sister, who was when helping in the construction of the buildings of the Berekum Holy Family Hospital for further discussions.
The efforts of the church elders were supported by the Techiman Traditional Council when the then Techimanhene (Chief of Techiman), Nana Akumfi Ameyaw III made a personal donation of Twenty Thousand Pounds (£20,000) towards the project. On the 7th of July 1953, the Techiman Local Council set up a board to choose a site for the project. In October 1953, approval was received from the Ministry of Health for construction of the Hospital to begin.
In April 1954, a total land and area of twenty (20) acres was given out together with a gift of Four Thousand Pounds (£ 4,000) by the Techiman Traditional Council for the project. On 17th December 1954, Nana Akumfi Ameyaw III laid the cornerstone for the construction of the Hospital and Bishop Bronk of Kumasi blessed it.
Ownership of the Hospital was transferred by the Medical Mission Sisters to the Catholic Diocese of Sunyani in December 1977. Upon the creation of the Techiman Diocese out of Sunyani, the Hospital was further handed over to the Diocese of Techiman in 2008. From its humble beginnings in 1954, the Hospital has grown and developed to become the Municipal Hospitaal for the Techiman Municipal serving as the referral health facility for Techiman Municipal and other parts of the region and beyond.
The total bed capacity of the hospital is 330 and provides general and specialist services as below:
- General OPD consultation services
- 24-Hour Emergency and Ambulance Services
- Inpatient services
- Operative services
- Physiotherapy services
- Diagnostic services: i.e. Laboratory, X-ray, ultrasound, ECG, etc
- Blood transfusion services
- HIV/AIDS Programmes
- Pastoral Care and Counselling services
- TB control programme
- Reproductive and Child Health Services (RCH)
- Pharmaceutical Services
- Mortuary services
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Emergency Medicine
The hospital is a training centre for doctors for housemanship and residency for membership training by the Ghana College of Physicians and Surgeons
for more information